Praying the Lord's prayer recently I was thinking about what the prayer assumes about the character of God: Father, in heaven, holy, etc. Then I thought, what does it assume about the character of the one praying it?
Here are some thoughts:
- No agenda of our own
- Dependent for all things
- Confident of mercy
- Acknowledging sin
- Having a deep appreciation of grace
- A follower
- Hating sin and temptation
- At war with the evil one
- Sheltering in the Lord's deliverance
1) I want to be this person.
2) Jesus has made me this person (John 16:23-27) The Father regards me as this very person, clothed in my Advocate. I not only pray in and through Jesus but with Him.
3) Prayer, resting in the intercession of Jesus, is what will make me more and more live up to what I've already attained in Him.